The Indiana Pacers guard will serve as the honorary pace car driver to start the May 27th race, it was announced Thursday.
"This is a tremendous honor for me," Oladipo said in a statement. "I'm so thankful Indiana continues to embrace me, from Indiana University to the Pacers and now the Indianapolis 500, the greatest race in the world."
He will lead the 33-car field to the starting line in a 2019 Corvette ZR1. The car can accelerate from zero to 60 mph in 2.85 seconds and reach a top track speed of 212 mph.
Oladipo led the Pacers to a near-upset of the Cleveland Cavaliers in the first round of the playoffs after being traded to Indiana in the offseason. He has been named a finalist for the NBA's Most Improved Player Award.
"Avengers" actor Chris Hemsworth will wave the green flag to start the race, and Kelly Clarkson will sing the national anthem. A very cool honor.
“It will be great to have Victor behind the wheel of the 2019 Corvette ZR1, the fastest, most powerful, most advanced performance production Corvette ever,” said Jim Campbell, U.S. Vice President Performance Vehicles and Motorsports for Chevrolet. “I can’t wait for Victor to experience that performance, along with the energy and anticipation of all the fans, as he leads the field to the green flag at the iconic Indy 500.”
The 2019 Corvette ZR1 Pace Car features:
- LT5 small block 6.2L supercharged V-8 engine with 755-hp and 715 lb.-ft. of torque
- 8-speed 8L90 paddle-shift automatic transmission
- ZTK Performance Package, which features a stanchion-mounted adjustable carbon-fiber high rear wing, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires and performance suspension
- Magnetic Selective Ride Control™
- Brembo® Carbon Ceramic brake system
- ZR1 chrome-aluminum wheels: 19-inch front and 20-inch rear
- Standard Performance Traction Management and Electronic Limited-Slip Differential
- Unique Indy 500 graphics package
- GM Design fully-integrated safety strobe system
- Performance Data and Video Recorder
The Corvette ZR1 Pace Car can accelerate from 0-60 mph in 2.85 seconds and reach a top track speed of 212 mph, the fastest Corvette in history.