A high school baseball coach in Utah has been placed on leave after he doused the baseball field in gasoline and lit it on fire.  The coach was attempting to dry the field and used an estimated 15 to 20 gallons of gasoline.

The field was shutdown due to contamination after the incident.  The team is playing their games elsewhere until the field is deemed to no longer be contaminated.

Via FOX13:

“We went out there and used a four gas analyzer in which we took readings of VOC’s and we did not have any readings so we don’t believe there is a hazard to the people who are there watching the games but there is a hazard with the contaminants contaminating the soil and percolating down,” said Blackham.

During the tests, it was found that 15 to 20 gallons of gasoline and diesel were poured on the field.

Shauna Lund, the Community Relations Supervisor of the Davis County School District, says they are aware that this is a common practice for drying out baseball fields, However, the health department says it’s something that people shouldn’t do.

You have to get those games in no matter what, even if you have to cover the field with as much gas as you can get your hands on and light it on fire.  It makes perfect sense to a high school baseball coach.

Want More From Sports Gossip? 

For all the latest breaking Sports Gossip, be sure to follow SportsGossip.com on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.