A speeding case against former soccer star David Beckham was dropped on Thursday after his lawyer successfully argued that notice of the intended prosecution had not been served within the legal deadline.
Beckham was accused of driving a borrowed Bentley at 59 mph (95 kph) in a 40 mph (64 kph) zone in the Paddington area of London on Jan. 23rd.
He had pleaded not guilty, with his lawyer saying the charge was “defective.”
Beckham’s lawyer Nick Freeman, nicknamed “Mr. Loophole,” argued that the notice arrived at Bentley Motors on Feb. 7th, a day outside the statutory 14-day window.
Nick 'Mr Loophole' Freeman admits there may be "some disquiet" about David Beckham's speeding ticket case. Accepts driving too fast but says the papers were sent late.
"That's a matter for Parliament. It's a statutory requirement and if the law needs to be changed then so be it"
— Tristan Kirk (@kirkkorner) September 27, 2018
District Judge Barbara Barnes said the notice had been sent Feb. 2nd and “more likely than not” did not arrive within the 14 days.
She said therefore “the defendant in this case cannot be convicted.”
During the defense Freeman argued:
“If the Crown can’t prove that the letter was sent by first class post then the concept that it arrives in two working days goes out of the window.
“It would be unsafe to allow these proceedings to go any further.”
Beckham, the former Manchester United and England star, did not attend Thursday’s hearing at Wimbledon Magistrates Court. He was probably too busy getting his hair plugs.
David Beckham Hair Transplant Rumors Hits the Net https://t.co/MTZK8ALiXx
— SportsGossip.com (@sportsgossip) September 27, 2018