Magic Johnson believes Lonzo Ball is ready for a “breakout season” with the Los Angeles Lakers after the point guard tweaked his shooting form and spent time in the weight room and film room this offseason.
— theScore (@theScore) September 21, 2018
In a recent video posted by the Lakers, Ball demonstrated a more straight-on shooting form with a slightly more centered set point. Previously, he would bring the ball over more to his left side.
— BBB Media (@UniqueBallMedia) August 28, 2018
Johnson said it was Ball’s decision to alter his form after shooting just 36 percent from the field and 30.5 percent from 3-point range last season.
“”We didn’t want to bother him [his shot],” said team president Magic Johnson on Thursday, according to ESPN’s Ohm Youngmisuk. “I think he decided to do that on his own.
“We explained that this is going to be the most important offseason, and while he could be on the court, his shot looked great. He is going to be ready to have a breakout season and build on what he did last season, because it was only a couple of things he had to do better, and that was driving to the basket, finish and get the midrange in terms of getting his shot where he is on balance. It is not his shot. He just has to be on balance. … I am excited for Lonzo, and he is going to be fine.”
Of the 154 players in the Association who played 1,700 or more total minutes, Ball ranked 153rd in true shooting percentage at 44.4 percent.
He underwent arthroscopic surgery on his left knee in July and will be ready for the start of Lakers training camp, although he’ll initially be held out of five-on-five drills. You can’t fix a broke shot like that.