— Atlanta Falcons (@AtlantaFalcons) May 4, 2018
Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan made it official on Friday by signing his six year $169.25 million extension with Atlanta. The contract includes $100 million in guaranteed money.
Pro Football Talk has the complete breakdown on the insane, record breaking contract:
1. Signing bonus: $46.5 million.
2. 2018 salary: $6 million, fully guaranteed.
3. 2019 option bonus: $10 million, fully guaranteed.
4. 2019 salary: $11.5 million, fully guaranteed.
5. 2020 salary: $20.5 million, fully guaranteed.
6. 2021 salary: $23 million, $5.5 million of which is guaranteed for injury only at signing. The $5.5 million becomes fully guaranteed on the third day of the 2019 league year.
7. 2022 roster bonus: $7.5 million, due third day of 2022 league year.
8. 2022 salary: $16.25 million.
9. 2023 roster bonus: $7.5 million, due third day of 2023 league year.
10. 2023 salary: $20.5 million.
11. All guarantees have no offset language.
In other words, Matt Ryan just went from Matty Ice to Matty Paid. Ryan brought his twins with him as he signed the life changing deal.
Matt made sure to bring his representation with him to the signing yesterday In all seriousness, 2018 has been filled with big life moments so far and now we can add this to the list. We couldn’t be more proud of you, Matt! You’ve accomplished so much in your career, but I know the best is still yet to come ( )! Thank you to Arthur Blank and the entire Falcons organization for being first class in every way. We are all so grateful to be part of the brotherhood for 6 more years! #RiseUp
Talk about cashing in on one season. Don’t get me wrong, he’s had a solid career in Atlanta, but he’s not likely to have another year like 2016.