Police in Las Vegas have reopened a criminal investigation at the request of a woman who has alleged in a civil suit that global football star Cristiano Ronaldo sexually assaulted her in 2009.
Last week, attorney Leslie Mark Stovall filed a complaint in Clark County District Court alleging that Ronaldo assaulted his client, Kathryn Mayorga, in a Las Vegas hotel room on June 13th, 2009.
Cristiano #Ronaldo is accused of raping a woman in 2009. This woman, her name is Kathryn #Mayorga, now files a complaint against him https://t.co/hsAIUXEwkg pic.twitter.com/Mu4MHGwZRi
— SportsGossip.com (@sportsgossip) September 28, 2018
The suit says Mayorga asked police last month to reopen a criminal case from that day. Las Vegas police, while not mentioning Ronaldo, confirmed to The Associated Press and USA Today that the reopened case was brought by the woman named in the lawsuit.
Rape allegations against Cristiano Ronaldo 'not fake news,' says accuser's lawyer https://t.co/VQNypII2qQ pic.twitter.com/FrUzevjGJ0
— CNN (@CNN) October 2, 2018
Police said Monday they responded to a sexual assault call on the date Mayorga is alleging in her civil suit but said the victim “did not provide detectives with the location of the incident or suspect description” at the time, though a medical exam was conducted.
Ronaldo, the Juventus forward who is among the world’s most famous athletes, dismissed the claims over the weekend as “fake, fake news.”
Mayorga told Der Spiegel that she decided to come forward this year after the #MeToo movement that has seen victims speak out about past sexual abuse.
Monday’s statement from Mayorga’s lawyer, who also announced a news conference for Wednesday, concludes by saying she hopes to encourage victims to report assaults “no matter how famous, wealthy or powerful they may appear to be.”