Back in May of last season there was talk that Red Sox pitcher David Price ended up with carpal tunnel syndrome from playing too much “Fortnite. After an extremely slow start to the season for the defending champions, the “Fortnite” talk has returned.
This May the talk is that because the team was losing that the video game had been banned in the clubhouse, via WEEI:
“I haven’t seen it this year,” said Red Sox pitcher Nathan Eovaldi, who was recruited to return to the Red Sox through the game’s messaging system during the offseason. “Usually everybody had it set up in their lockers. But I haven’t seen it.”
According to multiple players, it was decided by the team that the time used playing the game in the clubhouse had gotten to a point where it was becoming counterproductive to putting their best foot forward on the field. It wasn’t a unique position considering the Blue Jays’ ban of video games in the clubhouse and the story of Carlos Santana smashing a flat-screen TV in the Phillies clubhouse last September because of his disdain for the level of online gaming during work hours.
“I think there is a time and place for that, too,” Eovaldi noted. “Maybe if we were doing a little better maybe we would be doing it, but you can’t be losing and playing Fortnite in the clubhouse.
According to Price and manager Alex Cora, that isn’t true. There is no ban on the video game, the team is simply playing it less because it isn’t as popular among the players.
From David Price: “There is no ban on Fortnite. That’s not true.” Further explained it was a fad and they don’t play as much. But some guys do on occasion.
— Pete Abraham (@PeteAbe) May 2, 2019
Alex Cora, asked about Fortnite kerfuffle, said there is no ban and that nobody is playing it less because of team’s sloppy start. Player police their own down-time activities.
All he asks is that they be ready to play when the game starts.
— Michael Silverman (@MikeSilvermanBB) May 2, 2019
We’re glad that’s all cleared up. It’s almost as if the Red Sox purposely brought it up so that they could distract everyone from their 14-18 start. Well done, it seems to have worked.
Want More From Sports Gossip?
For all the latest breaking Sports Gossip, be sure to follow SportsGossip.com on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.