The New York Jets want to make yet another change at quarterback.
New York is leaning toward starting Zach Wilson once again, but the signal-caller is reluctant to step back into the starting lineup, sources told The Athletic’s Diana Russini. Wilson’s hesitancy stems from a perceived injury risk, per Russini‘s sources.
Despite the reluctance, Wilson would agree to start if the team directly asked him, a source told The Athletic’s Jeff Howe.
Head coach Robert Saleh downplayed the situation while speaking to reporters Monday. “If he was reluctant to play, he wouldn’t be here,” the 44-year-old said, according to the New York Post’s Brian Costello.
Wilson has been the inactive emergency quarterback for two straight games since he was demoted in favor of Tim Boyle. The latter was yanked late in Sunday’s 13-8 loss to the Atlanta Falcons for Trevor Siemian.
The team originally didn’t plan for Wilson to play again this season after he was benched, but the offense’s performance against the Falcons changed that, according to Russini and Zack Rosenblatt.
The Jets averaged just 3.9 yards per play in the defeat, failed to score a touchdown, and only converted two of 15 third downs.
Saleh previously endorsed Wilson but made the switch to Boyle in an effort to rejuvenate an offense that struggled after Aaron Rodgers suffered a torn Achilles in Week 1. The Jets have lost five straight contests and been outscored 47-21 in Boyle’s two starts.
New York is averaging a paltry 14.3 points per game and 260.1 total yards per contest this season. Those marks rank 30th and 31st, respectively.