Stand-up Yoga has become a common activity among paddlers. It is the practice of regular yoga but while standing on a paddleboard.
SUP Yoga is normally done on calm waters such as an ocean, a lake, or an urban waterway.
But if you are a beginner, you can start the practice in a pool or on the beach. This will help you gain flexibility and strength.
Even though SUP Yoga is similar to traditional Yoga, it requires a different level of balance and focus. Also, it engages muscles that are not utilized on stable ground.
8 Ways you can benefit from SUP Yoga
- It exercises the body– even though SUP Yoga does not require a lot of physical activities, it is a great exercise for your body.
The Yoga poses you perform on a paddleboard strengthen muscles such as legs, arms, knees, shoulders, and quadriceps.
- It boosts breath control– this type of Yoga requires you to slow down, focus, and change your poses as slowly as you can.
As you change the postures, you are required to focus on your breathing, increase your control, and maintain balance. Hence, it boosts breath control.
- SUP Yoga promotes mindfulness– when performing SUP Yoga, you need to focus on your breath and how your body moves.
This is to help you remain focused and keep a balanced posture while on water. And focusing on balance and breathing promotes mindfulness and self-awareness.
- It enhances balance and flexibility– another way you can benefit from SUP Yoga is by enhancing your balance and flexibility.
Since you are required to stay on the paddleboard as you float on water, you improve balance and flexibility.
- It provides a feeling of refreshment – the other way you can gain with SUP Yoga is a feeling of refreshment. Floating on water instead of laying on a Yoga mat offers a special feeling.
Since you are outdoors, you will have a chance to experience the beauty of nature. It helps the body to cool down.
- It boosts blood circulation– the main technique of Yoga is to focus on breathing. As you focus on breathing, it helps to increase blood circulation.
Besides, SUP Yoga eases the feeling of stress, enhances emotional wellness, and it is enjoyable.
- It benefits your mind– when you allow your body to move with the flow of water, it produces a soothing effect on your mind.
Water brings peacefulness, and when combined with Yoga, it gives a relaxing and stress-free feeling. Also, it offers a rejuvenating sense of coming together with water.
- SUP Yoga empowers you– since it is a form of exercise, you are enabled to be a better person. And since SUP and Yoga are challenging tasks, you are required to work extra hard, be patient, and focus.
Tips and Tricks to get started with SUP Yoga
If you are planning to get started with SUP Yoga, here are a few tips and tricks that will help you have an easy time.
*First, get comfortable with your paddleboard – before you start learning any new technique, get comfortable with the board. Learn the SUP basics before moving to any additional movements.
Know how to stand and kneel on your board as you paddle around. This will help you get comfortable.
*Look for a calm spot – if you are new to SUP Yoga, look for a quiet place with calm waters. This will not make you unstable on the paddleboard.
*Take it slow – if you are getting started, do not be in a hurry. Move slowly and take time to learn all the basics. Make sure you understand all the essential paddleboarding skills.
*Keep a wide position – keeping a wide stance will give you a good balance on the board. Also, it will ensure you are stable if the water gets tough.
*Find the right size SUP Yoga Board – choosing a wide, stable board with a large traction pad is important and will make your SUP yoga experience more comfortable.
What you need before you start SUP Yoga
Before you start SUP Yoga, make sure you know the kind of gear you need. Having good gear is important to this activity. Below are the important things you must have.
Even though you can find paddleboards designed for SUP Yoga, a flat, wide paddleboard can work. However, pick a board you are comfortable with because you will spend a lot of time doing poses.
You can purchase the paddle together or separately with the board. Ensure you pick one good for your height.
- Floating device
Whether you are a pro or a beginner, make sure you have a floating device. Also, make sure to get one that will not make it hard to perform yoga poses.
Even though several boards do not have a leash, you need to get one. A leash is a very essential gear. In case you fall, the board will not drift away.
SUP Yoga is fun but a challenging exercise. But with practice and determination, you can easily learn great SUP Yoga poses.
Before you get started, ensure you drink a lot of water, wear the right attire, and be ready to get wet. Also, ensure you protect your skin from the sun and consult your doctor before starting SUP Yoga.