In a tweet sent on Friday, the Dominican Republic National Police said Victor Hugo Gomez has been arrested after it was determined that he was the mastermind behind Ortiz being shot in Santo Domingo earlier this month.
Más detalles en las próximas horas.
— Policía Nacional República Dominicana (@PoliciaRD) June 28, 2019
Ortiz was shot June 9th at the Dial Bar and Lounge in Santo Domingo and underwent two surgeries in the following 24 hours.
The 43-year-old was transported to Boston by air ambulance a day after the shooting and has been recovering at Mass. General Hospital for the last few weeks.
Gomez is at least the 12th suspect arrested in the shooting, which was ruled a case of mistaken identity last week.
Dominican attorney general Jean Alain Rodriguez said Ortiz was not the intended target of the attack and that the target was Gomez’s cousin, Sixto David Fernandez, who was sitting at the same table.
Want More From Sports Gossip?