The Dominican Republic’s attorney general, Jean Alain Rodriguez, said in a press conference on Wednesday afternoon that David Ortiz was not the intended target of the June 9th shooting.
According to Rodriguez, Ortiz’s friend Sixto David Fernandez was actually the target.
Via NBC News:
Former Red Sox star David Ortiz was not the intended target of a murder plot and was accidentally shot in the Dominican Republic, officials said Wednesday.
The bullet that struck Ortiz in the back at the Dial Bar and Lounge on June 9 in the eastern part of Santa Domingo last week was meant for Sixto David Fernandez, in what authorities have described as a murder-for-hire plot. Fernandez, a friend of Ortiz’s who frequents the bar, was sharing a table with the baseball star at the time.
Obviously we’re a little skeptical of this latest development. Not only are all of the news outlets and blogs in the Dominican pointing to Ortiz’s relationship with a woman as the cause of the shooting, but everyone in the country knows who David Ortiz is.
It’s really hard to believe that someone would mistake Ortiz for his friend. It’s more likely the alleged corruption in the country has reached this case.
Is there any chance they catch the guy who ordered the hit?
Want More From Sports Gossip?