When it comes to playing head-to-head mixed martial arts safety in training and in matches is key. One of the most popular sports today is Muay Thai also known as Thai boxing, and it packs a punch. Known for its close proximity fighting technique and bare skin it may seem like getting injured is inevitable. In this article, I will be giving you the top-rated must-have Muay Thai gear to keep you safe without inhibiting performance.
Muay Thai Belly Pad
It’s important to do your research before purchasing a Muay Thai belly pad. While, they can offer excellent protection from hits to your vital organs, not every fit, style, and the material will be right for you. Luckily, US Combat Sports has rated the top picks with various pointers on each. Here are a few takeaways based on their expert research in this sport:
- Choose a belly pad with Dome Air Technology for more absorption and dispersion of hits and kicks
- Fasteners should be strong and allow you to adhere to the Muay Thai belly pad tightly to the body
- Check the weight – the heavier the pad the more your moves will be slowed down
- Budget – always a factor when buying equipment – you do not have to spend a lot to get a great safe piece of gear so keep that in mind when shopping
What’s Muay Thai without the gloves? Title boxing gloves can be used in a variety of hand-to-hand combat sports like Thai boxing, American boxing, and sparring for MMA as well. Choosing the right gloves that will protect your hands, not slow you down, and wear well will take some time.
For heavy bag work, consider a gel boxing gloves like the ones by Sanabui. These gloves ad extra weight to increase power and speed while protecting the fragile bones and ligaments in your hands. The gel is very shock-absorbent and also provides a realistic experience of hitting a body.
Last, but, not least, shin guards are a must for Muay Thai. Those carefully planted lower kicks can shatter bone. To keep your body as safe as possible look into a great shin guard for training. Here is a list of ones to check out based on your level:
- Beginner – Hayabusa Tokushu Regenesis striking shin guard
- Intermediate – Venum Elite Standup Shin Guards
- Advanced – Venum Kontact Evo Shin Guards
What makes a shin guard better for a more advanced player has to do with the strength and conditioning of your shins from training.
If you are considering entering into the exciting world of combat sports consider your safety as well. Every great fighter invests in keeping their body healthy and protected during training and actual fights. Regardless of your sport, consider choosing a protective Muay Thai belly pad to protect and absorb shock and damage to your major organs. The right gloves will protect your hands and strengthen your body as will the right shin guards.